Newry Demographics (VIC) Local Stats

Newry (3859) is a suburb of South Eastern Victoria, Gippsland, Victoria. It is about 169 kms from VIC's capital city of Melbourne. Newry is in the federal electorate of Gippsland.

In the 2011 census the population of Newry was 429 and is comprised of approximately 48.3% females and 51.7% males.

The median/average age of the population of Newry is 41 years of age.

83.4% of people living in the suburb of Newry were born in Australia. The other top responses for country of birth were 1.9% England, 1.6% Netherlands, 0.9% New Zealand, 0.7% Indonesia, 0.7% Scotland.

89.4% of people living in Newry speak English only. The other top languages spoken are 10.6% Language spoken at home not stated.

The religious makeup of Newry is 27.2% No religion, 25.6% Anglican, 20.2% Catholic, 13.4% Religious affiliation not stated, 9.2% Uniting Church, 1.9% Presbyterian and Reformed, 0.9% Other Christian, 0.9% Buddhism, 0.7% Lutheran.

55.0% of people are married, 27.7% have never married and 10.3% are divorced and 2.1% are separated. There are 16 widowed people living in Newry.

58.7% of the people living in Newry over the age of 15 and who identify as being in the labour force are employed full time, 24.4% are working on a part time basis. Newry has an unemployment rate of 7.5%.

The main occupations of people living in Newry are 30.1% Managers, 12.9% Labourers, 11.3% Community & personal service workers, 9.7% Professionals, 9.7% Technicians & trades workers, 8.6% Machinery operators & drivers, 8.6% Clerical & administrative workers, 5.9% Sales workers, 3.2% Occupation inadequately described/ Not stated.

The main industries people from Newry work in are 32.3% Agriculture, forestry and fishing, 11.3% Health care and social assistance, 8.6% Education and training, 7.0% Retail trade, 6.5% Public administration and safety, 6.5% Accommodation and food services, 5.4% Manufacturing, 4.8% Mining, 4.8% Transport, postal and warehousing.

33.6% of homes are fully owned, and 36.3% are in the process of being purchased by home loan mortgage. 21.9% of homes are rented.

The median individual income is $473 per week and the median household income is $1053 per week.

The median rent in Newry is $150 per week and the median mortgage repayment is $1625 per month.

Check out FY 2013 Tax Stats for Newry postcode 3859

  • Qpzm LocalStats Victoria Suburb of the Day: Buchan South 3885 -> South Eastern Victoria -> Victoria